Thousands of people— the majority of them law enforcement— will pay their final respects Wednesday to a Riverside police officer killed last week.
Officer Mike Crain was gunned down while on routine patrol in Riverside in the early morning hours of Feb. 7. Police have said he didn't even have time to fire off his own weapon while attacked in a "cowardly ambush" by suspect Chris Dorner.
Crain's services are being held at the Grove Community Church in Riverside. Riverside police tell Patch they expect approximately 8,000 people to attend, most of which will be members of the law enforcement community.
Scheduled to speak at the funeral are:
- Wife Regina Crain
- Childhood friends Joe Negroni and Rob Frazer
- Brother Jason Crain
- Former Riverside Police Department coworker Steve Pounds
- USMC friend John Bacon (USMC Friend)
Crain is a Southern California native who grew up in Redlands and graduated from Redlands High School in 1996. He lived in Beaumont with his wife, son and daughter.
The funeral was set to begin at 10:30 a.m. at Grove Community Church, 19900 Grove Community Drive, in Riverside. Following the funeral, there will be an Honor Gurad procession to Riverside National Cemetery, where the officer will be interred, according to a Riverside Police Department news release.
Crain served two deployment tours in Kuwait as a rifleman in the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, 3rd Battalion 1st Marines. He leaves behind a wife and two children, one son and one daughter.
All Riverside police facilities will be closed for normal business on Wednesday "to allow our employees to attend the services," police said in their release.
Riverside National Cemetery is located at: 22495 Van Buren Blvd, Riverside, CA 92518.
- MANHUNT SHOOTOUT: Angelus Oaks Family Recalls Massive Response on 38
- DORNER MANHUNT: Mountain Search for Alleged Cop-Killer to Go Thru Night
- Murder Charges Filed Against Chris Dorner in Redlands High Grad's Death
- Funeral Service Information for Slain Riverside Police Officer Mike Crain
- $1 Million Reward Offered For Dorner's Capture
- LAPD Chief Beck's Full Statement on Reviewing Dorner's Termination Case
- MANHUNT: Search For Rogue Former Cop Continues
- DORNER MANHUNT: Armed Deputies Vigilant on Snowbound Mountain Roads
- Winter Storm Warning for Mountains Where Dorner Search is Under Way
- DORNER MANIFESTO: Rogue Officer Posted His Plan for 'Last Resort' Online