Faulty electrical wiring caused a slow-burning fire that damaged a home Thursday in the 31600 block of Florida Street in southeast Redlands, a battalion chief said.
The fire was reported just after 10 p.m. Aug. 15 east of Alta Vista Drive, and firefighters from Redlands, Yucaipa and San Bernardino County responded, Redlands Fire Battalion Chief David Graves said in an email.
Three Redlands Fire units were still committed to a vegetation fire and Yucaipa and Mentone firefighters provided mutual aid backup, Graves said.
"The resident had been smelling smoke since about 2 p.m. and was unable to identify the source," Graves said. "There had also been some recent electrical issues in the home."
When people returned home Thursday night they noticed light smoke coming out of the attic space and called 9-1-1, Graves said.
"Firefighters located the slow burning fire in the attic space above a bedroom with thermal imaging cameras," Graves said. "Firefighters were able to move most of the family's possessions out of the bedroom before removing the ceiling to access and extinguish the fire."
The fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in the attic, Graves said. No injuries were reported. Damage to the structure and property were estimated at $3,000.