A man who tried to steal copper wire from an electrical relay station in San Bernardino received electrical burns and died Sunday night at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, according to the coroner.
Michael Morga Garcia, 26, of San Bernardino, tried to remove copper wiring from the relay station on Stoddard Avenue about 2 a.m. Saturday, a coroner's report states.
San Bernardino police estimate he received a shock equal to 33,000 volts.
The incident caused outages for an estimated 14,000 Southern California Edison customers. Utility workers had to wait for investigators to clear the scene before they could go to work, and power was restored by 2 p.m. Saturday, Edison spokesman Scott Andresen said.
Garcia sustained electrical burn injuries and he was taken to the hospital in Colton, where he was pronounced dead at 8:32 p.m. Sunday evening, according to the coroner.