Update 4:33 p.m. Staff at Yucaipa Community Park are setting up for a candlelight vigil Tuesday evening for San Bernardino County sheriff's Detective Jeremiah MacKay, and it was raining 90 minutes before the planned start time at 6 p.m.
The venue is outdoors so it's recommended that everyone attending dress appropriately for the weather.
Posted 11:38 a.m. The venue for a candlelight vigil planned Tuesday evening in Yucaipa for San Bernardino County sheriff's Detective Jeremiah MacKay, who was fatally shot Tuesday in the last showdown with fugutive multimurder suspect Christopher Dorner, has been changed.
The vigil is scheduled at 6 p.m. Feb. 19 at Yucaipa Community Center 34900 Oak Glen Road, the Sheriff's Department announced Tuesday morning.
"The memorial is open for all who wish to attend and honor our fallen hero," Cindy Bachman of the Sheriff's Department said a statement.
The vigil had been scheduled for the same time and date at Yucaipa City Hall. It was being organized by the City of Yucaipa and the Yucaipa Police Department, which is part of the Sheriff's Department.
MacKay, who worked in Big Bear and Yucaipa, was a 15-year veteran with the department, Sheriff John McMahon said Wednesday. He was father of a 7-year-old daughter and a 4-month-old son. He was a resident of Redlands.
His funeral is planned at 11 a.m. Thursday Feb. 21 at the San Manuel Amphitheatre, 2575 Glen Helen Parkway.
MacKay, fatally shot Feb. 12 in a confrontation with Dorner east of Angelus Oaks, was the second law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty during the ex-cop's alleged rampage. They both had local ties to Redlands and Yucaipa.
Authorities believe Dorner is accountable for four killings in the space of ten days: a former LAPD captain's daughter and her fiancé in Irvine on Feb. 3, Riverside police Officer Michael Crain on Feb. 7, and MacKay on Feb. 12.
Crain was a graduate of Redlands High School and he attended Crafton Hills College in Yucaipa before he joined the Marine Corps. He was a resident of Beaumont. His funeral was Wednesday in Riverside and he was laid to rest at Riverside National Cemetery.
- DORNER REWARD: 'Due to High Volume of Calls' LAPD Issues Statement
- Dorner Death Scene: SWAT Captain Details Fugitive Ex-Cop's Final Hours
- Candlelight Vigil for Sheriff's Detective Slain in Final Confrontation with Dorner
- Funeral for Sheriff's Detective Jeremiah MacKay: Date and Time Announced
- REDLANDS MOURNS: Slain Detective is Second Local Victim Tied to Dorner
- DORNER'S LAST STAND: Fugitive Kept Trying to Shoot More Deputies at Cabin
- DORNER INVESTIGATION: Gunshot Wound to Head Appears Self-Inflicted
- DORNER IS DEAD: Confirmed ID of Charred Remains Made in Autopsy
- VIDEO: Thousands Mourn Loss of Slain Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain
- MANHUNT SHOOTOUT: Angelus Oaks Family Recalls Massive Response on 38
- DORNER MANHUNT: Mountain Search for Alleged Cop-Killer to Go Thru Night
- Murder Charges Filed Against Chris Dorner in Redlands High Grad's Death
- Funeral Service Information for Slain Riverside Police Officer Mike Crain
- $1 Million Reward Offered For Dorner's Capture
- LAPD Chief Beck's Full Statement on Reviewing Dorner's Termination Case
- DORNER MANHUNT: Armed Deputies Vigilant on Snowbound Mountain Roads
- DORNER MANIFESTO: Rogue Officer Posted His Plan for 'Last Resort' Online