The Sept. 11 attacks are such a delicate topic, that a small Loma Linda Patch brief announcing the screening of a film charging a report on the collapse of the towers is full of falsehoods has stirred passions.
Stephen Kemp, BSME, a local engineer and educator, who will moderate the presentation, said he expected skeptics.
“I think it’s important for the public to really understand that we’ve never really had anything like an (independent) investigation into 9/11,” Kemp said. “So what goes as an official story is really fairytale.”
The presentation, titled 9/11: Blueprint for Truth, The Architecture of Destruction Re-examining the Destruction of the Three World Trade Center High-Rises will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 10 at A.K. Smiley Public Library, 125 W. Vine St.
The film centers around the theory that New York’s Twin Towers and a third World Trade Center Seven Building - that was a block away from the towers - were not brought down by the large jets that were flown into them.
Instead the film and its creator Richard Gage, AIA, suggest a controlled explosion similar to the ones seen in demolitions brought them down. Gage and a group of about 1,600 supporters are demanding there be a new independent investigation into the collapse.
Several people who were were associated with the official investigation's final report have since disowned it, Kemp said.
“We need to revisit this,” he said. “We need a new investigation.”
The film questions a lot of the evidence presented by the report and claims many things were omitted including the existence of molten steel. Rescuers and architects at Ground Zero reported seeing it, Gage said. The liquafied steele is a classic effect of a controlled demolition, he said.
“For me the key condition is that they never called key witnesses,” Kemp said of the investigators. “Much of the evidence that was presented to them was repressed in the final report.”
But the film has many shaking their heads.
“I doubt whether any voices of reason will even attend, since these dreary events are usually 90 percent self-professed ‘truthers,’ and the other 10 percent only claim to be skeptics - who see the light after the "presentation.’ ” Patch commenter Albury Smith responded in frustration in a comment stream. “I'd suggest reviewing the to see how interested the 9/11 ‘truth movement’ is in honest debate. The ‘engineer and educator’ who's running the Redlands, CA dog-and-pony show addressed none of my comments or questions and then skipped, and getting anything substantive out of the other true believer here is like nailing Jello to a tree.”